Sunday, February 5, 2012

07/11/97 Cheap Trick/Flipp @ First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

07/11/97
Cheap Trick/Flipp
@ First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

07/11/97 Cheap Trick/Flipp @ First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

(Image and text via dimland.blogspot.com)

Comments from concert attendee "Jim":

"The opening band, Flipp, was impressive as well. A local band with a sort of a Kiss meets The Sex Pistols thing except they are better musicians. Flipp generates a love/hate reaction. I thought they played really well and had some good songs and were fun, as did most of the audience. But some audience members disagreed.

When Rick Nelson thanked Flipp for warming up someone shouted, “Flipp sucks!”

That surprised Nelson. “Really? They did?” was his reaction.

Anyway, I was most impressed when at the end of their set Flipp’s lead singer got behind the drum kit and played Back In Black. Big deal, right? I should mention that he played guitar and drums at the same time. Sure it’s a gimmick, but it was still impressive."

2 comments:

jim said...

Hey, I know this is well after the fact, but just today, for some reason, I was checking the comments on my blog. I saw your comment about using my piece about seeing Flipp open for Cheap Trick. Totally cool with me that you shared it. I appreciate your asking, even I didn't notice until a year and a half later. I really need to check my comments more frequently.

NYCDreamin said...

Hi Jim - Thanks much. I know what you mean about checking comments - I get distracted and forget to do it as well - your comment has been up here now for almost two months and I am just now seeing it, LOL.