Saturday, February 4, 2012

08/10/02 Flipp "Three Garage Tour" Stop #1 - Minneapolis, MN

08/10/02
Flipp Three Garage Tour - Stop #1
@ Private Residence, Minneapolis, MN

*Click to read:
08/09/02 Minneapolis Star Tribune - "Diary of the Madmen"

Fan Photos from the show...

'08/10/02
(All photos via NYCDreamin Archives)

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02


'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

'08/10/02

The tour started with a 12:00pm show inside the garage at the private residence of a fan/contest-winner in Columbia Heights, just north of Minneapolis. The not-quite epic road trek ended about 12 hours later with the band making a mess of The Red Carpet in St. Cloud (photos HERE). In between, there were two more concerts, both at private residences, both held in garages, one in the Twin Cities proper and the other at a residence in St. Cloud. I only found out about the "tour" the previous day when I spotted an article on Flipp in the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper. I would have followed the whole tour and went to every show but I had prior commitments, so I could only make it to the first show.

I got there a bit early as the band were still setting up equipment. The top photo shows what the scene at 2117 - 39th Avenue NE looked like just prior to the band kicking things off: Several kids milling about, anxiously awaiting the band's appearance. Curious passers-by stopping to see what all the commotion was about. People walking over to join in on the fun of a mid-day rock concert in their neighbors' garage.

Here's a shot of the scene near the front of the driveway - close to the "stage" on the floor of the garage. A few of Flipp's "people" were there handing out the pink, Flipp logo-embossed, "F.U." foam fingers you can see some of the kids sporting in the above photo. Somehow, I missed out and I never got one of those. I still want one.

The "concert" was maybe 45 minutes to an hour long. They had to keep it short, after all, this tour had 3 more stops to make...TODAY! But it was, make no mistake, a full-on Flipp concert experience. Just because it was in somebody's garage didn't mean they were going to play quietly, it was plenty loud. At one point, the kid whose garage it was got up and sang a song with the band. He looked to really be enjoying the fact that, for today at least, he was the coolest kid in the neighborhood.

I saw several people video-taping the show. No videos from this one up on YouTube yet though, or from any of the other "Three Garage Tour" shows for that matter. Damn horders, always keeping the good stuff for themselves.

This lady wandered over from down the street and seemed to have a really good time rocking out with all the kids. She even took a turn strumming a few chords on Brynn's guitar. Rumor has it she's the infamous "Rock & Roll Grandma."

All too soon the band finished the last song and they and their crew began immediately tearing down the equipment so it could be loaded up and transported to the next gig location.

One show down and three to go.

I was wishing I could follow the band around for the rest of the day, but I had a long road-trip ahead of me, so, with some regret, I hopped in the car and set off for my destination, humming a few Flipp tunes to myself as I drove down the road. Oh yeah, OH YEAH! - end (NYCDreamin)

No comments: